Facelifts and WOWs both have their place in our homes and lives. There are spaces that we need to last just a few more years and there are spaces that we want to remodel once and never touch again for as long as we live. The tension comes when we expect a project to be an "as long as we live" space on a "few more years" budget. Once the first demo begins we often begin to think, "Maybe we should just move those outlets", or "This space would be way-more user friendly if that wall wasn't there". Its hard to swallow higher costs if you're not prepared for it at the outset.
Below are examples of both a facelift bathroom and WOW bathroom.
The first one is a nice facelift. The total cost on the project was about $7,500.
- Did not change the layout of the bathroom. No electrical, plumbing, or framing changes.
- Did not change the flooring.
- Did not replace the vanity cabinet.
- New fixtures. The tub, toilet, faucets, and lighting were all replaced helping to make everything in the bathroom feel new.
- Newly tiled tub surround. This is the best way to add a contemporary feel to a bathroom. We love the character and pop an accent strip adds to a surround.
- New cultured marble vanity top. Clean and new looking, this is much better than the 90's laminate.
- Fresh coat of paint on walls and ceiling.
The second example is a WOW bathroom. (Here is the full slideshow on it.) It cost about $23,000. The homeowner planned changes on every level:
- They wanted more natural light, so we added a skylight.
- We removed an oversized linen closet to open up the space.
- We moved and updated all the lighting for better performance and appearance.
- We moved the toilet for better spatial flow.
- They chose top-notch tile and finishes.
- Added a custom double-bowl vanity and linen tower.
- They chose an incredible Brazilian granite top for their vanity.
- Replaed door into bathroom wih a frosted glass door.
- Added many great small details, like cutom light switch covers, and cubby shelves in the shower.
This couple wanted a bathroom that will endure both in function and design for many years.The long term perpective was in their intial plans and they understood the costs associated with it. It made the entire projecrt feel better for them, and us.
We're here for you either way you decide to go. We are not afraid of navigating either course.
612 991 9151